DELAVAN — Seven students from four Delavan-Darien schools were selected to have their work included the 2010-11 Southern Lakes Anthology book, “A student’s book of: Treasurers.”
Included in the book were:
- Phoenix Middle School sixth grader Priyanka Patel, “Bird in a Bush,” art;
- Darien Elementary School fifth grader Tony Patarino, “My Dirt Bike,” art;
- Darien Elementary School third grader Jasmine Arias, “My Friends,” poetry;
- Darien Elementary School third grader Cole Schmidt, “My Cat,” poetry;
- Former Turtle Creek Elementary School fourth grader Esther Vidal,* “Family Holder,” prose;
- Wileman Elementary School fourth grader Logan Reeves, “The Autograph Ball,” art;
- Wileman Elementary School fourth grader Elizabeth Sirkman, “Bluebeard,” poetry;
(Click the links above to read or see each student piece, or click here to download all works.)
This year’s theme for the anthology, “treasurers,” was chosen by the Whitewater Talented and Gifted Network.
Hundreds of students from throughout southeastern Wisconsin submitted entries in the following categories: art, cartoon, illustrated writing, prose and poetry.
Judges evaluated and chose 303 entries from third through eighth graders for inclusion in the book.
All published students received a copy of the Anthology book and were recognized at a ceremony at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater’s Irvin Young Auditorium Wednesday, May 26.
The Phoenix Middle School Orchestra, under the direction of Jennifer Bayerl, was the chosen entertainment for the afternoon reception.
(*Editor’s Note: Esther Vidal’s prose piece was chosen for inclusion in the Anthology while she was enrolled at Turtle Creek Elementary. She is currently not enrolled in district.)