Youth suicide in Southeastern Wisconsin remains a health crisis that affects us all, a recent report by Fox 6 Milwaukee reminds us.
Medical examiner records from Milwaukee, Racine, Kenosha and Waukesha counties indicate 71 kids and teens have died by suicide in the last five years. Many of them were 15 or younger.
For every kid who dies, 11 others attempt suicide, the report says. Also, in Wisconsin, Latina girls are twice as likely to attempt suicide. A 2013 survey of Wiscosnin high school students showed 1 in 7 teens said they had seriously considered suicide.
The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction has a list of Suicide Prevention Resources for teachers that we have shared with our staff and made available to you.
Find other resources and warning signs below:
WARNING SIGNS OF SUICIDE: The more signs someone shows, the greater the risk.
- Talking about wanting to die
- Looking for a way to kill oneself
- Talking about feeling hopeless or having no purpose
- Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain
- Talking about being a burden to others
- Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs
- Acting anxious, agitated or recklessly
- Sleeping too little or too much
- Withdrawing or feeling isolated
- Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge
- Displaying extreme mood swings
WHAT TO DO:
- Wisconsin resident? TEXT 741741 (Read more about the HOPELINE here)
- Crisis Lines
- Dial 9-1-1 or (262) 741-3200 or (800) 365-1587
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800) 273-TALK (8255). Your call will be routed to the crisis center nearest to your area.
- Do not leave the person alone
- Remove guns, drugs, sharp objects, and alcohol from the home
- Take the person to the Emergency Room for immediate help
- Seek help from a mental health professional
- Reach out to:
- Mental Health America of Wisconsin • www.mhawisconsin.org/
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center • www.sprc.org
- Prevent Suicide Wisconsin • www.preventsuicidewi.org
- Helping Others Prevent and Educate about Suicide • www.hopes-wi.org
- American Association of Suicidology • www.suicidology.org
- WI Safe and Healthy Schools Training Center • www.wishschools.org